This season’s best blouse comes with its very own built-in accessory: a flouncy, feminine bow tie. Hopping on the hugely popular gender-bending boyfriend-dressing trend in women’s fashion, the bow tie blouse borrows a classically masculine accessory and infuses it with a distinctly feminine appeal.
The bow tie blouse or ascot blouse puts a fancy twist on the classic button-up and offers a fresh alternative to the autumn or spring.
How To Wear a Bow Tie Blouse
Although the bow tie blouse is super hot and fresh right now, you may recall that many a granny have donned this particular garment. You can definitely find some fabulous vintage or thrift bow tie blouses, but take care to avoid looking matronly by choosing bow tie tops in high quality fabrics and body-skimming and/or tucked-in styles. Always wear a bow tie blouse with something tailored to show off your curves – there’s nothing matronly about that!
The best way to work this trend is to pair a bow tie blouse with a pair of trendy high waisted jeans or trousers, and a pair of peep-toe platform pumps. Here are a few variations on this chic look:
- For a menswear-inspired look, wear a cotton bow tie blouse with a skinny jean paired another one of the season’s must-have items: the boyfriend blazer.
- Work the transparent fashion trendy by tucking a sheer bow tie blouse into high-rise wide-leg jeans or trousers, and finish it off with a slim-fitting cropped blazer.
- Go for the stylish naughty secretary look by wearing a silk charmeuse bow tie blouse tucked into a silhouette-enhancing pencil skirt atop a pair of glossy patent leather shoes.
- Wear a jumper dress over your favorite bow tie blouse with fancy stockings and high-heeled leather boots for a grade-school inspired ensemble that’s all grown up.
- Look for blouses in solid colors, like Tara Jarmon’s vibrant Caramel Silk Bow Blouse, or choose patterned fabrics with tiny polka-dots or other small prints. Steer clear of large, busy patterns; the bow tie is embellishment enough.
Cheat the Bow Blouse Trend
Haven’t got time to dash out to your favorite boutique to buy a bow tie blouse? In a pinch, you can fake the bow tie blouse look by wearing an ordinary blouse with the top two or three buttons open and tying a coordinating silky scarf or thick ribbon loosely around your neck in a knot or bow. Voila! Now you’ve got a faux-tie blouse!